First, get an original Marriage Certificate from the City or Town Clerk that issued your Marriage Licence (most cities and towns charge about $10.00 each). Then start by calling Social Security at (800) 772-1213 and follow the automated instructions. Or go to They’ll send you your new Social Security card at no charge.
You will also need your Marriage Certificate to update your Massachusetts driver’s licence. This also requires a personal appearance at the Registry of Motor Vehicles.
And don’t forget to notify credit card companies and banks, the Post Office, employers, schools, etc. And you will need to update your voter registration, insurance policies, mortgages and other loans.
One important note: Wait until after your honeymoon to update your passport which needs to match the name on your plane ticket.